Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Kwarshiokor Of Hope



"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present." Bil Keane
I stumbled on this quote days back and I started pondering and reflecting on the unending journey called Nigeria. The strive that tomorrow will be better and that all we wish today could become a substance of fulfillment today and I researched, debated with the older generations on hope and to be terribly disappointed I see how much hope these failed generations have.
I know you'll go cursive at me on why I should call my old ones name, a thing that's unafrican, a xenolithic norm to the African scenario and I'll look and just feel bad on how hypocrisy has been misconcepted with African values and ethos but that will be a discourse for another day.
Like I've said the older generation is a failure and I'm unapologetic about it but I see my own generation will turn out a greater failure if things are not set right. Failure is not a question of age nor status but if a team like Barcelona losses Messi who is an individual success on his own stands to be called failure with the others. So I'm spitting it again that the older Generation failed us and we're living out the mentorship of their training.

Few days back I got a call from a Nigerian friend resident in America and we talked about a lot of things and tried to catch up on our various lives and when talked about Nigeria and it's undelivered promises we were enveloped in an ixora of sadness and he told me "Nna Echi di ime" which means tomorrow is pregnant of hope and I striked him back that probably our Tomorrow has kwarshiokor and we're mistaken it for pregnancy.

As all these transpired and the call ended, I was hit by a cacophony of voices and pains, sounds with the most vicious reverberation and when I tried to catch my cool, it dawned on me that Nigeria is a nation filled with good people but hopeless optimists. We're all pregnant but is it of true pregnancy of hope or a protruding tummy filled with void and air which we mistaken for hope.

I urge Nigerians, we need more than hope, we need actions. Hopes don't come with crass passivism, a hopeful man must still work and strive to achievement. We can't pride ourselves as pregnant with hope when this is worse than a fibroid. We're malnourished to start hoping, we must fight nepotism in high places and speak up against these morose of leaders. We must drop this sheer hedonism. We must revitalize our lives and kick this hopeless optimism which is simply a Kwarshiokor of Hope.


Emmanuel Kelechi Ejionye writes from Abuja and he is a Writer, speaker, activist, grassroot leader, photographer, humanitarian and many more. He's also a graduate of Engineering from the prestigious University of Nigeria. He can be reached through
Facebook: Emmanuel Kelechi Ejionye
Twitter: @kaycee_ejionye
Email: emmanuelejionye@gmail.com
Phone: 07036344833

No comments:

Post a Comment