Friday, December 4, 2015

Youths the future of a nation; more than just a lie but a vicious hypnosis. 

It was Kurt Cobain that said "The duty of a youth is to challenge corruption." The first time I read this what came rushing into my mind like waters falling from the Niagara was another saying that "Youths are the future". Quite contradictory quotes but then one is the truth and the other ain't.

Cobain's opinion is beautiful, it's one I'll always speak of everywhere I had the chances of speaking because I don't see the young man as the future but rather he's the present, he can do it right only if he puts his energy and strength to effective purpose to nation building.

Corruption as we know is the bane of the Nigeria problems. It is that single word that describes all of our shortcomings and it's a problem of today not future, so why are we called the future when there are problems we as youths need to tackle today and be a part of its solution than push it to tomorrow. Corruption affects us the most.

Youths are not the future, we're the present, we're today, we're not tomorrow, there's nothing like tomorrow, don't get fooled. There will never be a future if we don't act now. I recount an incident with an uncle he said I was the future because of the vigor I put into community development, youth awakenness and other movements I did and I stopped him and said i am today not the future, and that's why I have put my usefulness to work today and he got infuriated at me, for trying to act the Robin hood to a clichéd quote which to me is a great injustice to the youth, who are young at mind and strong at the bones. I found out his only pain was because I was posing a threat to him because he feels his own future as youth was close even at the old age of 56.

People say I'm disrespectful and arrogant and I'm unapologetic if they feel so when I say old men should just sit at home and tell us how to go about the business of nation-building. They say knowledge is dealing me a blow negatively but yea wisdom ain't strength. Is it? Well it is in a way, intellectual strength but i'm talking about physical strength that will make you work a couple more hours.

In saner societies the Roman Empire as a model and example, the old goes to the senate and congress. They debate and proffer solutions bedeviling the nation because they've worked as young people too and now should have a wide view of national issues.
The young possess strength and strength is what we need most times with the herculean tasks of nation building while the old has the intellectual strength, the very wisdom and experience to pinpoint us the mistakes of the yores and making sure we avoid a repetition.

Let's take a critical look at the Nigerian leaders at independence, the same people recycling themselves now. Yakubu Gowon was the head of state at 32, Zik was in his early forties and he was the oldest of them all and so many others too and I ask in modern Nigeria political and leadership affairs how many people at 40 holds sensitive positions in government? I doubt if there's any and if there's any they simply are people who are compensated for their father's rule.

Forgive my overly activeness on National issue, there are still exceptions to these. I do not suggest a total overhaul of the old from government issues, I'm only saying they should go to where experience and wisdom is necessary. Actually it doesn't mean there ain't exceptional old ones with both attributes(strength and wisdom) same with the young too. We can get it done when such people emanates and show us they have that vigor.

Dear youths, I will say the biggest lie youths of today have been told and they end up believe in and have gone an extra mile to make them intellectually and motivationally incapacitated is to believe they're the future. I have fought old people who told me this, I won't stop till this tool of hypnosis is canceled out from the mouth of the old, blackmailing us subconsciously and also making us insensitive to issues that affects us the most.

I do not know about you but I do not belong to any future because there are no future in my dictionary. I'm today, I am now, I can't be tomorrow because tomorrow never comes.
Youths are the now, don't get fooled with the promise of a tomorrow that you ain't sure of seeing. Grab the future now, tomorrow might just be too late like the Christian's salvation preaches.
To be continued.....

Emmanuel Kelechi Ejionye writes from Abuja and he is a Writer, speaker, activist, grassroot leader, photographer, humanitarian and many more. He's also a graduate of Engineering from the prestigious University of Nigeria. He can be reached through
Facebook: Emmanuel Kelechi Ejionye
Twitter: @kaycee_ejionye
Email: emmanuelejionye@gmail.com
Phone: 07036344833

No comments:

Post a Comment